The Experts Behind Our Holistic Skincare Guide Share Their Top Tips For Better Skin: Part 2 (Lifestyle)
Welcome to Part 2 of our Holistic Skincare Guide blog series! We’re spilling our HSG expert’s personal stories + top tips on nutrition, lifestyle and topical products to create healthy skin, holistically. Be sure to check out Part 1: Nutrition and Part 3: Topical Products for even more expert skin tips. And get our complete Holistic Skincare Guide here!
If you want the real truth, it’s this: Skin health is about your daily life. Your habits. Your patterns. What you value. And how you care for yourself, physically, mentally and emotionally. It’s all connected.
So let’s talk about some of those lifestyle factors that heavily influence our skin’s health, how it looks and feels, and of course, its glow power without an ounce of makeup on.
That’s where our Holistic Skincare Guide lifestyle expert, Sarah Adler, comes in.
As a nutrition coach, author and healthy lifestyle expert, she’s sharing her personal story and her top 10 lifestyle tips to support skin holistically. Her signature process blends equal parts nutrition, neuroscience, psychology, and the power of routine to guide you to clear, balanced and glowing skin.
Keep scrolling for Sarah’s top takeaways for better skin and shop our complete Holistic Skincare Guide for even more of her expert daily habits + lifestyle tips to improve your skin from the inside out.
I can’t remember the professor, or the name of the class, or even what time of year it was – but I do remember one rainy afternoon when a guest speaker came in that day and my life and perspective changed.
The topic? Common chemicals in our daily environment, and their effect on our skin, brain and overall health.
I walked out of the class, a little in disbelief. But also with open eyes. About how truly gentle our body’s ecosystem was, how much care it needed, and how easily it could get overwhelmed and impacted by things like daily contact with chemicals and fragrances. And how inter-connected our organs actually were: Our skin. Our digestion. Our noses. Our nervous system. Our detoxification systems.
It was a moment I will never forget. It felt like a light-bulb moment that connected a lot of things for me.
I felt a sudden call to action: That I needed to be a better protector of my body, and a little more mindful of what I allowed in and around my body, and in and around my environment.
I started looking more closely at all the things I used (and loved) around me. And truthfully, it wasn’t long until I got mad about it. All of the most dangerous products were all things I had been marketed to, for as long as I could remember. If it was true – if these things had to potential to do something as big as cause cancer – they sure weren’t worth it anymore.
I got rid of them, and fast. Why run the risk?
It’s been a decade and some years since that first classroom experience and ever since that day, it’s been a message I feel so passionate about sharing.
It’s all important, and all matters, and little tiny acts DO add up: with food, with beauty, with personal care and skincare products, household items, everything. It’s not about being perfect, but it’s about being aware, and upgrading everything you can, so you can live your best possible life.
TOP 10 TAKEAWAYS
- Our bodies are gentle ecosystems. Surround yourself with things that help serve it, help heal it, and help boost its natural abilities – whether that’s food, the products you use, or getting enough sleep.
- Your skin is the biggest organ in the body. It absorbs everything you put on it, in it and around it. Make sure you’re sticking to the good quality, and clean stuff.
- Get educated. Get empowered. Learn what is really in the products you use on a daily basis and upgrade them whenever possible.
- Your skin is a direct reflection of what’s going on inside your body. Inflammation? Food sensitivities? Too much of something and feeling out of balance? Your skin can be a great indicator of what’s going on beneath the surface.
- Other factors that can impact the quality of your skin? Stress. So finding better ways to deal with it and process through it in healthy ways.
- Another thing you can do? Make sure to sweat – in whatever way is joyful and feels good to you.
- Sleep matters too. Not just the amount, but the quality of it. Little tiny tweaks can make a big difference here!
- Your mental + emotional health are tightly connected here too. Make sure you take care and pay attention to these parts of yourself, just as much as your physical body.
- It’s not about being perfect, it’s about doing the best you can with all the things you can control and do have a say in.
- Make it fun. Above all, making any of these changes should feel empowering – like easy, do-able upgrades to your busy life. And at the end of the day, they should feel like self-care: a time you honor and take care of your sweet self, in the best ways possible.
Want even more in-depth insights and expert lifestyle tips – plus nutrition and topical product tips? Shop our brand new HOLISTIC SKINCARE GUIDE here! And be sure to check out more from Sarah on her website and Instagram! XO
Leave a Comment