Start The Swap: Natural Toner DIY, Tips + How Tos
The products you use on a daily basis are a big deal - because applying endocrine-disrupting chemicals and artificial fragrances found in conventional products can contribute to some serious health conditions over time. But we get it, you might have some hesitations when it comes to overhauling your products, so we want to help you start the swap!
All month long, we’re doing a blog series to empower you (and those you love!) to detox your products and #starttheswap - with our top product swaps, expert tips + how-tos from our Holistic Esthetician and DIY recipes from our Founder that you can make with simple ingredients you have stocked in your kitchen!
Ready to start the swap? Let’s dive in! This week’s product swap: NATURAL TONER.
In the world of natural skincare, some ingredients are very targeted to treating one or two specific things. And other ingredients (like the ones in our Everything Spray) are good at doing a lot of things.
When I began researching ingredients like Apple Cider Vinegar, Lavender Essential Oil and Tea Tree Essential Oil, I was amazed by how multi-faceted they were. Apple Cider Vinegar is packed with powerful healing enzymes, Lavender Essential Oil is known for its ability to heal a wide range of skin issues, and Tea Tree Essential Oil has potent antibacterial properties.
When I started using these simple ingredients in a natural toner I made for myself, I quickly realized that my "toner" was able to do so much more than balance out my complexion. I began applying it to sensitive areas after shaving, on sunburns, bug bites and so much more with great success.
Since I'm all about convenience, I thought it made more sense to come out with one product that had several functions rather than several products with separate functions - and voila! Everything Spray was born.
Handcrafting clean, non-toxic products is at the core of our brand. But above all, what we care about most is empowering you to remove the toxic ingredients from your products (whether it’s through the DIY recipe below or restocking your PP favs!) so you can live a healthier life and show up as the beautiful, abundant human you were created to be.
This is the step you do not want to skip in your skincare routine (it’s the glue that holds your skincare routine together!), but toxic chemicals like PEG compounds, propylene glycol, synthetic fragrances and even artificial dyes found in conventional toners can be absorbed by your skin, inhaled through your nose and impact your wellness at a cellular level. Guys, skincare is serious stuff!
Not to mention so many traditional toners on the market today actually work against the skin, compromising its health with harmful ingredients. Rather than using harsh astringents + stripping alcohols that can lead to dehydrated, damaged skin (and compromise your wellness within), switch to natural hydrosols + essential oils to rebuild and replenish the skin’s protective barrier.
EXPERT TIPS + HOW-TOS
Although toning is often the most overlooked and understated step in a skincare routine, it's essential for a clear, glowing complexion. From balancing oil-rich skin to boosting hydration in dry complexions to soothing sensitivities, this natural toner is loaded with healing, hydrating and antibacterial ingredients to calm redness, detoxify skin and balance pH levels.
Plus organic essential oils of tea tree and lavender treat the skin with antibacterial properties, organic witch hazel reduces inflammation and organic raw + unfiltered apple cider vinegar contains powerful healing enzymes. Natural toners are packed with skin-supportive ingredients that you'll want to spritz morning, noon and night. :)
When to tone:
- AM: In the mornings, toner is a must - and is technically the first product you’ll apply after splashing your skin with water. Spritz skin to wake up a tired complexion, replenish the skin’s protective barrier and prep skin to deeply soak in your serum and/or moisturizer.
- Midday pick-me-up: For dull, dehydrated complexions, keep a small bottle in your bag anytime your skin needs a bit of a boost. It also doubles as a makeup setting spray to refresh your look and leave you dewy throughout the day!
- PM: As a simple guideline, anytime you remove a product (like a cleanser or mask) it’s important to replenish and balance with a natural toner. Simply mist a couple more times after removing your cleansing oil or facial mask and before applying your skin-specific serum and/or beauty cream for even more benefits.
- Secret skin tip: Tone after moisturizing, too! This final spritz adds another layer of replenishment and gives your moisturizer a little nudge to do deeper reparative work. Trust us, try it!
Multi-tasking toner tips:
- Pit refresher: Spritz onto pits before applying your natural deodorant for extra protection and keep a travel-size bottle in your bag to be prepared for whatever the day may bring.
- Beat body acne: Spritz onto your back, upper arms and chest to help treat body acne and keep skin smooth + clear.
- Shaving woes: Although some skin types are more prone to ingrown hairs than others, with this powerful spray you can say goodbye to them for good. Whether you’re a guy who prefers the clean-shaven look or a girl ready to hit the beach with a smooth bikini line, this multi-tasking toner is a must-have for post-shaving.
- After sun spray: Spritz onto skin or apply with an organic cotton round after a day in the sun to replenish nutrients, infuse skin with hydration and stimulate healing.
- Wound healer: Simplify your first aid kit and spritz on scraped knees, random rashes and bug bites to help calm inflammation and speed up the healing process.
DIY: NATURAL TONER
4 natural ingredients packed with healing enzymes, active botanicals and antibacterial benefits give your skin everything it needs in one spritz. Grab the ingredients from your kitchen below and enjoy!
Glass bottle - either a spray bottle or twist off cap will work!
Distilled water - purified water offers more replenishing properties than stripping tap water.
Raw apple cider vinegar - contains powerful healing enzymes to keep skin clear and pH levels balanced.
Optional, but highly recommended:
Lavender essential oil - incredibly calming and soothing for any skin condition.
Tea tree essential oil - provides antibacterial benefits to minimize breakouts and detoxify impurities.
Step 1: Fill a glass bottle 90% of the way with distilled water
Step 2: Fill the last 10% with raw apple cider vinegar
Step 3: Add several drops of active essential oils to add more calming and clarifying benefits (optional, but highly recommended!)
Step 4: Shake and spritz! Or pour onto an organic cotton round and sweep across skin.
Stay tuned next week for another new product swap drop and DIY tips so you can #starttheswap! Hint: it’s the most crucial step in your skincare routine.