Skinimalism: The Beauty Trend That's Better For Your Skin Barrier (And Budget)
A beauty trend that’s better for your skin barrier, microbiome and budget? Say hello to skinimalism.
Skinimalism prioritizes skin health by pairing down your products - and it’s anything but basic. It’s time to toss your 10-step skincare routines and finally start to see the results you’ve been looking for.
When it comes to this beauty trend, less truly is more. Keep scrolling to learn how to adopt a minimal approach to skincare and still crush your skin goals.
Is the bare minimum really the best approach to balanced, beautiful skin? We think so. :)
Minimalism, meet skincare.
Skinimalism may feel like it goes against everything you’ve ever been taught about topical skincare: use these products for this step, these potions for this condition and then layer on these lotions. We’ve been sold that more steps = more results.
But this beauty philosophy has left us with an epidemic of the stripped epidermis, compromised skin barrier and ongoing problematic breakouts.
Simplifying your skincare routine doesn’t mean you’ll have to sacrifice results. In reality, you’ll start to actually see your skin transform.
A dozen products on the daily is a surefire way to compromise your delicate acid mantle and put your skin in overdrive. Overcomplicated, complex skincare routines bombard your skin barrier with multiple topical products containing actives, exfoliants and surfactants.
The result? A stripped moisture barrier and stressed out skin (decision fatigue for your skin is real!) making it more vulnerable to sensitivities, irritation, acne and premature aging.
While marketing messages (and even greenwashing claims) may sound convincing that more products are the answer to your skin woes, the truth is your skin is a brilliant, self-healing organ that only needs a little nudge with a few natural ingredients on its rejuvenation journey. Instead of adding one more step to the long list of products, let’s strip it back for a healthier skin microbiome - and a happier budget!
Remember, this beauty trend is all about quality > quantity. Just how we like to say at Primally Pure, “fewer ingredients, real results.”
Skinimalism prioritizes pure ingredients instead of an extensive product lineup to allow your natural vibrance shine through. Simpler, targeted (and non-toxic) steps treat specific goals while still giving your skin barrier the room it needs to breathe.
Struggling with stubborn breakouts, inflammation, dullness or dryness? It’s time to simplify. Whether you incorporate products that multi-task or fewer products with pure, potent ingredients, skinimalism might just be the path back to healing.
Your Step-By-Step Skinimalist Routine
Here are the foundational steps in any skinimalism routine to simplify your routine and amplify your results:
1. CLEANSING OIL | Wash away makeup and impurities (and without overstripping) while protecting the skin’s pH levels and moisture barrier with a cleansing oil.
P.S. If you still want to keep it simple but even more effective, suds up with this bar after oil cleansing for a deeply purifying double cleanse.
2. MIST | Replenish hydration and strengthen skin with plant-activated hydrosols. Spritz after cleansing and while skin is still damp, then apply your final step.
3. SERUM | Targeted ingredients in a skin-specific serum bring balance back to any skin state with just a few drops daily for a no-makeup glow.
4. CREAM | When needed, this cream is where you start to really rebuild moisture and add an additional layer of skin-nourishing plants and superfood healthy fats.
Once you’ve built out your skinimalism routine, from there you can supplement your steps with a skin-specific mask or facial tool for extra TLC on days your skin (or your soul) needs it most.
5. MASK | When skin is in need of an extra nudge to naturally stimulate cellular turnover (and your mind is in need of a little reset), apply a skin-specific mask 1-3x/week for a beauty and well-being boost.
6. FACIAL TOOL | These are our favs for optimizing the flow of lymphatic fluid and microcirculation to target specific skin goals and support a balanced skin barrier from below the surface.
While we’ve touted the beauty benefits of simplicity, don’t forget a simple routine will only reveal results with consistency. But with fewer steps for healthier skin in less time, you’ll find this skinimalism routine is one you actually look forward to (and can fit into your schedule!) every single day.
P.S. Want to discover your customized skinimalism routine? Take this 2-minute skin quiz! Or click here for a blog post from our Holistic Esthetician to help you tune in and listen to what your skin is saying and intuitively care for your complexion. XO
Pin your fav blog post below:
Leave a Comment