10 Natural Ways To Thrive During Cancer Treatment
One of the most awful parts of navigating a cancer diagnosis is the side effects from treatment.
I got my first up-close and personal taste of this during a very difficult conversation shortly after my 3-year-old son, Kicker, was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. While chatting with another cancer dad, he shared his experiences with his young son and how I needed to prepare for…
- all of the vomiting from chemotherapy
- how Kicker would lose all of his hair
- there would be major mood swings
- most likely, Kicker would have some difficulty walking
- in the next year, we would be hospitalized at least 10 times for secondary infections
This man really was trying to help, and he was gentle in his words. However, I was absolutely horrified, and my “mama bear” mode took over.
As a result, I took matters into my own hands over the next couple of weeks. I didn't want these things to happen to my son. So, I reached out to our Osteopathic Physician, Nutritionist and Naturopath, and we devised a natural healing protocol. The goal was to help Kicker stay as healthy as possible during his 3-year chemotherapy treatment.
First, we overhauled his diet. Then, we focused on detoxing his system, as well as, putting him on an essential oil and supplement protocol. Basically, we supported him with natural medicine every step of the way!
Thankfully, Kicker never experienced those horrific side effects!
He threw up only one time during treatment, never lost his hair and was never hospitalized for secondary infections. In fact, he actually stayed healthy and vibrant during the entire three and a half years of daily chemo.
So, to help, here are 10 things we did prior to Kicker receiving the high doses of chemotherapy and before any surgery:
- He took a detox bath every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after. This also includes the day of the procedure, as long as the surgery site was not exposed to the water. Here’s my detox bath recipe.
- We prepared castor oil packs every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after. Here’s my castor oil pack instructions.
- I topically applied 2 drops of Zendocrine Essential Oil over Kicker's liver after chemotherapy and/or surgery.
- He drank ½ his body weight in ounces of filtered water daily with 2 drops of Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oil. Make sure to drink only out of a glass or stainless-steel container, and here’s my favorite water filter.
- After chemotherapy and/or surgery, he drank 24 ounces of filtered water with Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oil in it.
- Rebounding for 10 minutes every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery.
- We practiced 10 minutes of meditation AND prayer every morning before beginning the day. Then, write down 10 positive affirmations. The Headspace App is a great guide, but here’s some simple examples:
- I am healthy.
- I am strong.
- I am capable of healing.
- I am beautiful.
- I am loved.
- I am supported.
- He used Peppermint, Ginger and DigestZen Essential Oils topically and internally 30 minutes before chemotherapy is administered or prior to surgery. Then, again topically and internally immediately after chemotherapy or waking up from surgery.
- Drink 12 oz. bone broth every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and surgery. Here’s my recipe.
- Kicker completely removed all sugar and grains for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after.
And as some extra support, here's a list of 15 healthy snack ideas to bring to the appointments:
- Organic Seaweed – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes - Here’s our favorite.
- Superfood Bars – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Beef Jerky – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Cucumber with Celtic Sea Salt
- Sliced Apples with Almond Butter Packs or Coconut Butter Packs
- Forager Cashew Yogurt
- Organic Raw Cheese – Here’s our favorite.
- Bone Broth – Here’s my recipe. You can make it ahead of time and store it in a mason jar.
- Organic Green Juice - Here’s our favorite recipe. You can make it ahead of time and store it in a mason jar.
- Plantain Chips with Guacamole - We love these plantain chips, and we get organic mini guacamole containers at Costco.
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Homemade Gummies - Here’s my recipe.
- Kale Chips – Here’s my recipe.
- Homemade granola – Here’s my recipe.
Finally, if you’re looking for some additional support…
Sign up here for my FREE 20 Tips to Fight Cancer Cheat Sheet.