This Clean Beauty Blogger Shares How To Transition To Non-Toxic Products
Is it just me or does it seem like everyone is hyper-focused on living a healthier lifestyle these days? We are constantly seeing new products and ideas to help cleanse our body and mind. Sorry, I’m not sorry, but they are onto something!
Once you open your eyes to the world of natural living, you’ll begin to see just how many chemicals we’re exposing ourselves to on a daily basis. Just when we thought we could rely on our “all natural” facial cleanser or “organic” body lotion, we may have been deceived – sneaky, I know.
With consistent exposure, our bodies retain and build up those nasty chemicals. It may start with a migraine here and there, or a bout of abdominal discomfort, but could eventually turn into a chronic condition, which is typically masked with more chemicals like painkillers and steroids.
Your body wants to naturally detoxify itself through its 5 detox organs (skin, lungs, intestines, kidney, and liver), however, it can experience a block if it’s constantly bombarded by chemicals.
You can experience an even greater detox, than any you can buy online if you just take a closer a look at some of the products you use every. single. day.
Just like it takes a while for your body to slowly accumulate these chemicals in your body, it may take time to cleanse your body and cabinets of these chemicals. Over time you’ll be able to see, and more importantly feel the results of detoxifying your body.
You may experience benefits such as increased energy levels, mental clarity, clearer complexion, and decreased depression. Isn’t that what we are all looking for in this life?
WHERE TO START?
Try not to overwhelm yourself by feeling like you need to replace every product in your home immediately. When I first started to transition my home, I turned a bit manic – throwing out every consumer product in my home. Trust me, this will stress you out and probably give you the same symptoms we’re trying to avoid here.
- Start by making a list of the top ten items that you use daily. This could be anywhere from your facial cleanser to your dish soap.
- Once you have your list set, take a look at the ingredient list. If you recognize most of the ingredients on the list, then great job, you’re already on the right track. If not, then you know you’ll need to do a little bit more work.
Luckily, there a lot of great resources that have done the homework for you.
You can quickly check each one of your products on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database’s website or you can download their app. Simply type in the name of the product or brand, and the site will provide you with a list of ingredients and their safety ratings.
You may not always find your product in this particular database but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t make the cut. The company may just not have provided all of the necessary information to be listed.
If you find that you need to look up each individual ingredient, Paula’s Choice Ingredient Dictionary provides you with a lot of great information about the ingredient and if it has a poor, average, good or best rating. Both websites also provide supporting medical research if you really want to dive in deeper.
Once you’ve narrowed down your list, it’s time to go shopping!
You can browse EWG’s site by product category to help narrow down the specific product that’s right for you (this is especially beneficial for household goods). If not, check out Sephora’s new ‘Clean Beauty’ section on their website, which are all free of parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde, mineral oils, and more.
I have rounded up a few of my go-to’s that have passed my ‘clean’ test.
- Primally Pure Deodorant: This product should be at the top of your list when you first start transitioning your home. One of my favorite things about this deodorant is that it feels like real deodorant and it actually works. There is a variety of scent options that all smell very clean and refreshing. The size of this stick is easy to store and travel with too!
- Puracy Natural Body Wash: This is my new favorite body wash that I use daily. It is a coconut-based cleanser that provides a luxurious foam and leaves the skin feeling hydrated. It also has a wonderful and refreshing citrus scent.
- Leahlani Mermaid Face Mask: I have chosen Sundays as my weekly face mask ritual. It is such a great way to prep your mind, body, and spirit before the workweek begins – my husband has even joined in! After a week of working late, staying up late, and sweaty workouts, I always feel like my skin needs to hit the refresh button. I look forward to applying this beautiful superfood mask every week as it gives my skin such an amazing glow the next morning!
- RMS “Un” Cover-Up Concealer: OK. I will admit that I am a concealer fanatic. There is something magical about a product that can make you look like you had 8 hours of sleep when you only had two. This concealer is very creamy and easy to apply!
Cheers to a healthier and cleaner 2019 friends!
Be sure to follow Haley on Instagram and check out her website for more clean beauty tips + healthy recipes!
Leave a Comment